1MDB: Ex-Goldman bankers and Jho Low face US charges
Two former Goldman Sachs bankers and Malaysian financier Jho Low have been hit with US criminal charges in connection with one of the world’s biggest financial scandals.
The Department of Justice alleges the men participated in a scheme that stole billions of dollars from Malaysia’s development fund, 1MDB.
One former Goldman banker pleaded guilty, the department said.
The other banker has been arrested, while Mr Low remains at large.
Mr Low, who prosecutors say had ties to government officials and acted as an informal advisor to the 1MDB fund, maintains his innocence, according to a statement issued by his legal team.
He has previously denied charges filed in Malaysia, adding that it would be “impossible” for him to receive a fair trial there.
“Mr. Low simply asks that the public keep an open mind regarding this case until all of the evidence comes to light, which he believes will vindicate him,” the statement said.
Goldman, which worked to raise money for the 1MDB fund, said on Thursday that it “continues to co-operate with all authorities investigating this matter”.
Source: BBC News
